Porter Engineering has applied its many years of experience in true shape log profiling to optimized log bucking and merchandising. RT3 – Real Time for Real Trees with Real Shape software incorporates high definition scan data from multipoint laser scanners and the latest multi-core Industrial Computers. The result is accurate true shape log profiling and computer modeling for increased recovery and value from every log.
Bucking solutions are based on current lumber prices, market priorities and inventory levels. Configurable parameters allow skewing of production to meet specific market conditions or to cut to an order file. Porter’s RT3 software evaluates all the possible solutions and picks the solution that is optimal for your requirements.
Porter Optimized Bucking Systems will produce sawlogs, plywood peelers and pulpwood, as required. Third party metal detectors are supported allowing metal to be automatically bucked out of the stem.
Features of RT3
- Full profile scanning on lineal and transverse configurations
- High scan rate, high density multipoint laser scanners
- Industrial Rackmount Intel® Core i7 multi-core scanning/optimization computer
- Exhaustive search algorithm, optimum solution provided for every stem
- Optimize for value, recovery or product mix
- Lumber sizes in metric, imperial or a combination
- Lumber values can be entered in $/MFbm, cents per piece or $/cubic meter
- Manual override and re-optimization capability
- Common User Interface, with texture mapping 3D graphics, across all Porter optimization systems
- Customized mill management reports
- Embedded context sensitive help
- System Diagnostics
Powerful RT3 Simulation Program
RT3 empowers the user to run off-line simulations to determine what effects parameter changes (price, target size, kerf, product mix, etc.) have on value, recovery and resulting lumber mix without actually processing the timber. A single stem, a portion of or a complete shift of stems may be simulated and the results can be view in report form and/or graphically.
Integration with Primary Log Breakdown
Our Optimized Bucking systems can be fully integrated with RT3 Primary Breakdown Software. Bringing forward downstream Canter and sawing solutions and combining that with Real-Shape scanning results in more accurate log modeling and increased recovery and value and the bucking stage.
Customized to your mill’s requirements, both Optimized Bucking and Primary Breakdown systems use the same Graphical User Interface, operating parameters and operator’s display reducing training and implementation efforts. Parameter and price changes can be entered at either location.
Scanning/Optimization Computer: Industrial Rackmount Intel® Core i7 multi-core
Full Profile Scanners: High scan rate, high density, multipoint laser scanners
Graphical User Interface PC: Current technology with large flat panel monitors, Microsoft Windows and Office, Disk Management and Antivirus Software
Simulation PC: Current technology with large flat panel monitors, Microsoft Windows and Office, Disk Management and Antivirus Software
Solution Monitors: Flat panel display for operator
Computer Cabinet: Dust, oil and water tight and cooled with a high efficiency air conditioner
Encoders: Bidirectional, custom built by Porter with 5/8″ diameter stainless steel shaft and a cast steel enclosure
Documentation: Operating Manuals, Interconnection Diagrams, Wiring Schedules, Electrical Schematics and Component Layouts provided in hard copy and/or electronic format
Porter offers many levels of product support to ensure your continued satisfaction with our systems:
- Free telephone technical support for the life of the system including troubleshooting your system over Internet/VPN
- After Hours Emergency support
- Spare optimization parts stocked at our Richmond facility